Friday, July 26, 2013

So...I ran 5 miles....

5 miles.

This might not sound like such a big deal to some of you. You might think, cool, I do 5 miles as my warm-up or as a pre-breakfast treat or something crazy like that.  But for this girl, well, I never thought I could do it.

I mean, I knew that I could do it- you know if I trained and stuck with a plan for more than 3 weeks but I had fallen off the running wagon so many times before I never really thought I would ever stick to it and just do it (sorry for the cliche Nike slogan there).  I don't know if it is being 29 or having a 3rd baby or maybe just getting an iPhone but I downloaded the C25K application (Couch to 5k) and it changed my life.  For the first time I felt like it was really possible, that I could maybe run for more than 30 seconds without wanting to lay down and snuggle in on the pavement or something.

The program is 8 weeks and on the 9th week is when you run the actual 5k distance.  I followed the schedule exactly and it tracked all of my workouts for me.  At the end I signed up for what I think is the perfect first "race".  It was "Run with the Roosters" at 5:00 AM! down at Old Tucson.  It was awesome- everything I could have wanted for a first race.  For reals- I think one of my favorite bucket list moments was grabbing a cup of water, chugging it like a mad woman and then chucking it off to the side.  You know, because I am such a hard core runner there is no way I could stop and make a trash can ;-). My goal going into the 5 miles was just to finish. That was it, no more, no less...running the whole time was only bonus.  I ran with two of my good friends and that made it so fun! I was able to keep my 10 minute mile pace and even though running outside on hills was harder for me I think the adrenaline and the excitement pushed me for sure!

So now I guess I am a runner?  Yes (I run), No (not far or fast)....I am learning?  I am taking it slowly and just to keep myself motivated I have signed up for the Tucson Half Marathon.  In truth, this terrifies me.  Part of me wants to vomit and pee and laugh and cry all at the same time when I think about it.  Totally awesome that it will be before my 30th birthday.  I had always said I wanted to do a half marathon before my 30th but I never truly believed it.

So here I go- 6 miles in the morning which I plan to follow up with a nice, hot multi grain bagel. 

Any tips out there from you champion runners?  Just do it?

Kodi

No comments: